Books Reviving Ophelia: Saving the Selves of Adolescent Girls Free Download
Describe Books Concering Reviving Ophelia: Saving the Selves of Adolescent Girls
| Original Title: | Reviving Ophelia: Saving the Selves of Adolescent Girls |
| ISBN: | 1594481881 (ISBN13: 9781594481888) |
| Edition Language: | English |

Mary Pipher
Paperback | Pages: 293 pages Rating: 3.87 | 24655 Users | 1177 Reviews
Details Regarding Books Reviving Ophelia: Saving the Selves of Adolescent Girls
| Title | : | Reviving Ophelia: Saving the Selves of Adolescent Girls |
| Author | : | Mary Pipher |
| Book Format | : | Paperback |
| Book Edition | : | First Edition |
| Pages | : | Pages: 293 pages |
| Published | : | September 1st 2005 by Riverhead Books (first published 1994) |
| Categories | : | Nonfiction. Psychology. Feminism. Parenting. Education. Self Help. Sociology |
Narration Toward Books Reviving Ophelia: Saving the Selves of Adolescent Girls
#1 New York Times BestsellerThe groundbreaking work that poses one of the most provocative questions of a generation: what is happening to the selves of adolescent girls?
As a therapist, Mary Pipher was becoming frustrated with the growing problems among adolescent girls. Why were so many of them turning to therapy in the first place? Why had these lovely and promising human beings fallen prey to depression, eating disorders, suicide attempts, and crushingly low self-esteem? The answer hit a nerve with Pipher, with parents, and with the girls themselves. Crashing and burning in a “developmental Bermuda Triangle,” they were coming of age in a media-saturated culture preoccupied with unrealistic ideals of beauty and images of dehumanized sex, a culture rife with addictions and sexually transmitted diseases. They were losing their resiliency and optimism in a “girl-poisoning” culture that propagated values at odds with those necessary to survive.
Told in the brave, fearless, and honest voices of the girls themselves who are emerging from the chaos of adolescence, Reviving Ophelia is a call to arms, offering important tactics, empathy, and strength, and urging a change where young hearts can flourish again, and rediscover and reengage their sense of self.
Rating Regarding Books Reviving Ophelia: Saving the Selves of Adolescent Girls
Ratings: 3.87 From 24655 Users | 1177 ReviewsJudge Regarding Books Reviving Ophelia: Saving the Selves of Adolescent Girls
This is a biased and thoughtless review, based on vague memories of a cranky adolescent's insensitive snap judgment, so you shouldn't pay any attention to it. It's definitely more of a statement about me than it is about the book, which I don't really remember anyway.I read this in the mid-nineties when it came out, and I remember feeling, as a teenage girl, annoyed and offended. I felt at the time that it was making too much of girls' helplessness and sort of encouraging us to feel sorry forWhen I first read this, I was very convinced of the premise--that girls do great as they move forward in elementary school, but sometime between 4th and 8th grade the harsh reality hits them that they are going to be objectified and relegated to second-class status in this male-oriented world. As a result, you see a drop-off in vivacity, creativity, and individuality. Instead of the former spunk and enthusiasm of girlhood, you see young women who shrink from the public eye, who retreat into

I read the 2019 anniversary edition and I imagine it's a lot better than the original because it could compare and contrast the problems of young girls in different decades: the 1990s (when I was a teen) and the early 2000s. Though I thought the book was interesting, it was made up predominantly of personal stories and seemed to lack more rigorous science. For example, I never understood precisely what about the culture made girls in the 1990s such a mess that somehow lost its influence in the
This book deals with the lives of young girls and their struggle with eating disorders. I read this when this was an issue in my own family, and I found it to be a great resource.
My mom gave me this book when I was like 12 or 13... this was only the beginning of the self help slurry of books, clippings, etc that my mom would throw my way. As an adolescent girl (who this book is geared towards) I hid the book under my bed and read other bull shit things like the other books you will see on my list (read in the early to mid 90s). Thinking I knew what was best for me, as girls do at that age, I continued to resist my mother's consistent pushing me to read this book. She
me:single handedly tries to fight the mass media while protecting every young girl in america

0 Comments