Books Download Online Barney's Version Free
Barney's Version 
A fantastic book -- my first by Richler.It's a virtuoso performance - the best "faulty narrator" story I've read. It's told as the memoirs of Barney Panofsky who thinks he's quite self-aware and frequently catches himself telling little lies and getting his facts wrong. But even having done that, characters in the book still correct him all the time and he doesn't put up much of a fuss - he figures they must be right. On top of that, the book is footnoted by his son who delights in pointing out
January 2011 Barney Panofsky is an aging Jewish businessman from Montreal whose made the bulk of his fortune producing what he himself would define as schlock Canadian television programs. When an old acquaintance from his time spent in Paris as a young man publishes a book which features unflattering mentions about him, he decides to write a memoir relating his own version of events, hence, Barneys Version. Whats clear right off the bat is that Barney is an unpleasant old coot who takes pride

Post-Quebexit meta-shenanigansI picked up the "Barneys Version" movie tie-in edition before the 2010 Toronto International Film Festival as I usually try to get in some of the related novel readings prior to their film version premieres. As it happened, I found the books first 10 or 20 pages so unappealing that I abandoned it and had no further interest in seeing the film either. Fast forward to February 2017 and looking over my unread shelves I decided to give it another try.For the most part,
I read Barney's Version the novel because I loved the movie. Clearly, Richler's story is far & away better than the adaptation, but I must say that the film is true to the spirit of the book & Paul Giamatti does make an excellent Barney.From the opening lines of the story, Richler gives us a gruff, complicated yet sympathetic Barney Panofsky. Writing that comes off so effortlessly cadenced can only be an indication of a writer at the top of his game. Richler's ear for dialogue &
Saw the movie today, loved it, and immediately added to book to my to-read list. I usually like the book more than the film, but we'll see. My to-read list has become so long that I'll never be able to die.
Barney's Version is Richler's Giller Prize winning version of Saul Bellow's National Book Award winning classic, Herzog. A good, at times better, Canadian cover version of an American favorite. So you think Kids in the Hall and Saturday Night Live. So you think Barenaked Ladies and, I dunno, Creed. Yes. Fine. Fine. So be it. It's about Barney Panofsky. Panofsky, a man with, oy, troubles of his own, let me tell you, sonny, but does he let that get him down? No. No, he doesn't let that get him
Mordecai Richler
Hardcover | Pages: 416 pages Rating: 4.15 | 9547 Users | 688 Reviews

Mention Books Toward Barney's Version
| Original Title: | Barney's Version |
| ISBN: | 0701162724 (ISBN13: 9780701162726) |
| Edition Language: | English |
| Literary Awards: | Stephen Leacock Memorial Medal (1998), Scotiabank Giller Prize (1997), Commonwealth Writers' Prize for Best Book in Caribbean and Canada (1998), Rogers Writers' Trust Fiction Prize Nominee (1997), Jewish Quarterly-Wingate Prize Nominee for Fiction (1998) Premi Llibreter de narrativa for Altres literatures (2013) |
Commentary In Pursuance Of Books Barney's Version
Before his brain began to shrink, Barney Panofsky clung to two cherished beliefs. Life was absurd, and nobody truly understood anybody else. Even his friends tend to agree that Barney is a 'wife-abuser, an intellectual fraud, a purveyor of pap, a drunk with a penchant for violence and probably a murderer'. But when his sworn enemy threatens to publish this calumny, Barney is driven to write his own memoirs, rewinding the spool of his life, editing, selecting and plagiarising, as his memory plays tricks on him - and on the reader. Ebullient and perverse, he has seen off 3 wives - the enigmatic Clara, whom he drove to suicide in Paris in 1952; the garrulous Second Mrs Panofsky; and finally Miriam who stayed married to him for decades before running off with a sober academic. Houdini-like, Barney slides from crisis to success, from lowlife to highlife in Montreal, Paris and London, his outrageous expolits culminating in the scandal he carries around like a humpback - the murder charge that he goes on denying to the end.Be Specific About Of Books Barney's Version
| Title | : | Barney's Version |
| Author | : | Mordecai Richler |
| Book Format | : | Hardcover |
| Book Edition | : | Deluxe Edition |
| Pages | : | Pages: 416 pages |
| Published | : | September 25th 1997 by Chatto & Windus (first published 1997) |
| Categories | : | Fiction. Cultural. Canada. Contemporary |
Rating Of Books Barney's Version
Ratings: 4.15 From 9547 Users | 688 ReviewsNotice Of Books Barney's Version
67 year old Canadian Barney Parnofsky decides to sit down to write his memoirs and we have Barney's Version. What a treat of a book. Totally unexecpected. Richeler has created a character in this book that is one of the most realistic that I've ever encountered. Barney is a rascal-a hard drinking, hard smoking, hard living type of guy. He spent his early years in France living with other North American ex-pats. This is during the time that Hemingway and other Americans were living in Paris (inA fantastic book -- my first by Richler.It's a virtuoso performance - the best "faulty narrator" story I've read. It's told as the memoirs of Barney Panofsky who thinks he's quite self-aware and frequently catches himself telling little lies and getting his facts wrong. But even having done that, characters in the book still correct him all the time and he doesn't put up much of a fuss - he figures they must be right. On top of that, the book is footnoted by his son who delights in pointing out
January 2011 Barney Panofsky is an aging Jewish businessman from Montreal whose made the bulk of his fortune producing what he himself would define as schlock Canadian television programs. When an old acquaintance from his time spent in Paris as a young man publishes a book which features unflattering mentions about him, he decides to write a memoir relating his own version of events, hence, Barneys Version. Whats clear right off the bat is that Barney is an unpleasant old coot who takes pride

Post-Quebexit meta-shenanigansI picked up the "Barneys Version" movie tie-in edition before the 2010 Toronto International Film Festival as I usually try to get in some of the related novel readings prior to their film version premieres. As it happened, I found the books first 10 or 20 pages so unappealing that I abandoned it and had no further interest in seeing the film either. Fast forward to February 2017 and looking over my unread shelves I decided to give it another try.For the most part,
I read Barney's Version the novel because I loved the movie. Clearly, Richler's story is far & away better than the adaptation, but I must say that the film is true to the spirit of the book & Paul Giamatti does make an excellent Barney.From the opening lines of the story, Richler gives us a gruff, complicated yet sympathetic Barney Panofsky. Writing that comes off so effortlessly cadenced can only be an indication of a writer at the top of his game. Richler's ear for dialogue &
Saw the movie today, loved it, and immediately added to book to my to-read list. I usually like the book more than the film, but we'll see. My to-read list has become so long that I'll never be able to die.
Barney's Version is Richler's Giller Prize winning version of Saul Bellow's National Book Award winning classic, Herzog. A good, at times better, Canadian cover version of an American favorite. So you think Kids in the Hall and Saturday Night Live. So you think Barenaked Ladies and, I dunno, Creed. Yes. Fine. Fine. So be it. It's about Barney Panofsky. Panofsky, a man with, oy, troubles of his own, let me tell you, sonny, but does he let that get him down? No. No, he doesn't let that get him

0 Comments