Online Drop City Books Free Download
Identify Epithetical Books Drop City
| Title | : | Drop City |
| Author | : | T. Coraghessan Boyle |
| Book Format | : | Paperback |
| Book Edition | : | First Edition |
| Pages | : | Pages: 497 pages |
| Published | : | January 27th 2004 by Penguin Books (first published 2003) |
| Categories | : | Fiction. Historical. Historical Fiction |

T. Coraghessan Boyle
Paperback | Pages: 497 pages Rating: 3.85 | 11299 Users | 990 Reviews
Commentary Concering Books Drop City
It is 1970, and a down-at-the-heels California commune devoted to peace, free love, and the simple life has decided to relocate to the last frontier—the unforgiving landscape of interior Alaska—in the ultimate expression of going back to the land. Armed with the spirit of adventure and naïve optimism, the inhabitants of “Drop City” arrive in the wilderness of Alaska only to find their utopia already populated by other young homesteaders. When the two communities collide, unexpected friendships and dangerous enmities are born as everyone struggles with the bare essentials of life: love, nourishment, and a roof over one’s head. Rich, allusive, and unsentimental, T.C. Boyle’s ninth novel is a tour de force infused with the lyricism and take-no-prisoners storytelling for which he is justly famous.Mention Books During Drop City
| Original Title: | Drop City |
| ISBN: | 0142003808 (ISBN13: 9780142003800) |
| Edition Language: | English |
| Setting: | Alaska(United States) California(United States) |
| Literary Awards: | National Book Award Finalist for Fiction (2003) |
Rating Epithetical Books Drop City
Ratings: 3.85 From 11299 Users | 990 ReviewsWrite Up Epithetical Books Drop City
I'm not sure quite where the appeal comes from, honestly. I read The Tortilla Curtain, and found it to be a funny enough novel about Californian dipshits... Drop City was likewise a tale of colliding cultures, in this case commune-dwellers and Alaskan survivalists. I'm really not sure what Boyle was going for. The idea of a certain set of ideals crashing headlong into the reality of life on the last frontier was already explored by Into the Wild well enough and thoroughly enough that the subjectSuperb. Boyle does both funny and sober with style. I couldve read a whole separate book about Pamela and Sess!
The evil side of the happy go lucky flower power unicorn rainbow time that wasnt as peaceful as one might suppose.What if hippies werent the friendly, peace-loving, open-minded, tolerant, etc great alternative to normal society, but just as bad as normal people with the difference that they do as if they were sooo alternative and progressive.Building on this plot, Boyle offers another splendid description of the bigotry and mendacity that grows in each society. In this case, it is interesting to

This book is fuelled by flower power. Sadly I prefer books which are run on rocket fuel so this one did not deliver enough blast for my buck. This is the third TC Boyle book I've read and although I keep meandering back for more, I'm still yet to understand why. Two tales make up the central thread of Drop City. Like two parallel spinal cords they prop up the floppy central core of the book. The first spine is the flacid, soaked in acid, hippy fuelled hurrah of Drop City. Most of the people
What to make of this book? It's two parallel stories about the 60s in Alaska. One: a hardy homesteader couple. Two: a bunch of hippies, "persecuted" by the law in Mendocino county, who decide to go back to the land, or at least drive a few thousand miles in a giant school bus and set up camp. No points for guessing which social experiment lasts longer.It's a sort of unaffectionate look at the pomp and circumstance of the 1960s. I can certainly sympathize with Boyle's derision - it's been a few
This is a proper, juicy, big novel. I love Boyle's writing style (feels somehow like old-fashioned storytelling) and it's one if those novels you can just sink into. Saying that though, it is a bit long.... And I think I'd have enjoyed it more if I'd read it on a long train journey or something, as it's difficult to get back into if you're just reading a few pages here and there.It's a book about a commune that moves to Alaska - I felt cosy reading about fires and stew in cold cabins, but the
If you look up hippies in the index of Todd Gitlins book The Sixties: Years of Hope, Days of Rage youll find the note: See counterculture; and under counterculture youll find a smorgasbord of topics, from rock music to mysticism, that will make certain baby-boomers swoon with nostalgia. But for those of us who grew up in the 80speople whod rather dine with Alex Keaton than Abby Hoffmanhippie culture exists in a series of colored-many-times-over childhood memories: a clattering VW van rambling

0 Comments